Darius D.

This blog is a reflection of me, forever growing and evolving. So, only expect one thing when you visit, TRUTH. Unless I post a short story, then it wouldn't quite be true, now would it?



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's Beginning to Feel A Lot Like...

There are some very distinct things that make it feel like Christmas to me. One, is The Temptations' rendition of Silent Night. There are a lot of holiday songs out there, but this one is at the top of my list. I recall riding in the car with my grandma. She would always drive with the radio turned down so low that I had to press my ear close to the speaker so I could hear what song was playing. But if it was December and I yelled out, "Grandma, your song on," she would immediately turn the radio on full blast so she wouldn't miss that opening "Woooohooohooo." Hearing that song always seemed to make her smile. I love that memory. That's Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFc7STuQF0U

Another is the wonderment of the Christmas movies. Now, we all have our favorites, and there are a lot to choose from. You may like the sentimentality of A Miracle on 34th St, or the hilarity of A Christmas Story. But my favorite has to be my favorite Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer. I think it's the most complete of all the Christmas movies. There's a rich and moving love story, a Rudy-esque underdog story, a tattered father-son relationship story; there's the independence-seeking dentist stuck in elfdom. It has everything. There's even a hot soundtrack! How didn't that win an Oscar?

Movies notwithstanding, like most kids, the biggest thing for me was the gifts. Each year was different. Some years, I would try to stay up all night so I could hear Santa Claus come in. Other years I would go to sleep extremely early so Christmas can get here faster. And it didn't really matter what I got. Of course, the more gifts the better. Some years were better than others. And there were times when Moms couldn't afford to get me the same things that the parents were getting my friends down the street. The youthful me learned to appreciate everything I got and to not compare my situation with anyone else's. It took a couple Christmas day smacks to completely sell me on that theory, but I got it. As I got older, the whole gift thing began to seem less significant. Maybe because I knew there was no Santa. Maybe because my sister came along and I was no longer the top priority for the family. But, mostly, it was because I was maturing. I began to understand that Christmas shouldn't be all about the gifts. I was fourteen.

Sooooooo, someone please tell me why the average American will spend somewhere around $1,000 this year on Christmas gifts. Now, this is the same America that has an unemployment rate hovering around 10 percent. This is the same America that is on pace for 1 million foreclosures by year's end.

I'm sure those three wise men weren't neglecting to pay their credit card bills so they can pick up that frankincense and myrrh for the baby Jesus. And conversely, I'm sure Jesus, Mary, nor Joseph looked at the wise men, sucked their teeth, and said, "Oh. Is this it? Umm...thanks. Thanks a lot."

We should change the name of this time of year from Christmas Season to Go Out and Spend Way Too Much Money On Things People Really Don't Need and You Really Can't Afford, But You Buy Anyway For No Apparent Reason Season.

So many people stress themselves out buying gifts they can't afford, often for people who don't deserve a gift in the first place. Parents feel inadequate. Children feel unloved. Relationships deteriorate. Families bicker and brawl. Over what? Christmas gifts.

I see people "making" themselves buy gifts all the time. No one should ever have to talk themselves into buying a gift for someone. If you can't afford it; don't get it. If you really don't like that person enough to buy them a gift; don't buy it. If you don't know the person enough to figure out if they'll like the gift or not, then why the hell are you stressing over buying them a gift anyway? If anything, get them a gift card and keep it moving.

One thing I've realized over the years is that a gift does not say "I love you." As I've gotten older, my family rarely gets me anything for Christmas. And I'm pretty sure they still love me.

Let's get back to those feelings that Christmas use to give us.
Back to the feelings of hot chocolate with tiny marshmallows on 80 degree days.
Back to riding your new bicycle for hours, hoping the thugs down the street wouldn't steal it from you on this first day.
Back to being happy with a football or a cassette tape or a Michael Jackson t-shirt.
Back to playing with your cousin's toys as if they were your own until he got mad and you got into a fight for a few minutes, then your uncle broke it up and you were back friends again.

This Christmas, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, or whatever, enjoy your loved ones, appreciate your blessings, and drink some hot chocolate.

And yeah, if you can't find the Temptations, then listen to this little gem. It's at the top of the list, too.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

You know you're a Floridian when on Christmas you can enjoy "hot chocolate with tiny marshmallows on 80 degree days" and ride "...your new bicycle for hours, hoping the thugs down the street wouldn't steal it from you on this first day." LOL!

Despite the news about unemployment rates and foreclosures, I think people use this holiday as an excuse to spend a ton of money in an effort to feel good. I don't agree that it's a sufficient proxy to the love and experiences one should feel when they're surrounded by loved ones [and good food<<isn't this required?]. Yes, we will hear about the crazy credit card bills in January; yes, the toys you bought your kids will collect dust by Valentine's day; and yes, your significant other will have forgotten what you purchased. In spite of it all, I think the folks who get 'caught up' justify their expenditures, even if it brings joy for a fleeting moment. If only we put as much effort into retirement planning ;)

Mr. D. said...

Amen, Shani. And yes, good food is a requirement. I'm already marinating some things. And hopefully, with your help, we'll start making some more sound financial decisions.

Anonymous said...

I wish more people would stop worrying about the gifts because I hate feeling the pressure. I really don't know why we started this tradition of giving gifts. I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE receiving gifts! However, don't want to spend all my money buying them. We have placed it on the minds of our children as well. Kids get angry and cry when they don't get what they want. Sad, sad, sad. Guess we have to start our own traditions within our homes about what Christmas should be like.

Jessika

Anonymous said...

The idea of people making themselves purchase gifts for someone is sad (IMHO), because they miss the blessing of giving. Giving is a sacred act, and not about the price tag (for me). One of the best gifts that I have ever received was a letter from someone written on paper that he made. I love everything about Christmas...including the tons of crumpled, colorful paper that ends up scattered on my floor. Merry Christmas, Darius.

KaliGurl78 said...

Wow! Our opening song to Christmas decorating IS the Temptations' "Silent Night"!!!!! Lovely share...again :-)
@Alexis "Giving is a sacred act...." simple, yet profound!
We give our kids $5 each, every year, to buy gifts....they buy things for each other with that, then they make gifts, cards, etc for my husband and I.
My list of folks-that-get-gifts is exceptionally small....outside of my immediate family, it's virtually nonexistent. But,into each gift I give, I put much thought AND an abundance of love....whether handmade or store bought :-)
Hope your Christmas was beautiful and filled with love!
Hopefully, they feel those things when they receive them!!!