Darius D.

This blog is a reflection of me, forever growing and evolving. So, only expect one thing when you visit, TRUTH. Unless I post a short story, then it wouldn't quite be true, now would it?



Sunday, August 22, 2010

This Might Make Me Hurt Somebody and other Musical Musings

One of my closest friends, MG, is an attorney. He and I have joked about the possibility of me needing him to use his BAR card some day to come get me out of jail. Now, I am not a violent person. In fact, besides all of the daily rumbles in middles school, my fried-chicken incited dorm brawl in college, and the few post-university coming to the aid of friends fracases, I’ve rarely had to resort to violence. There have been times that I thought I might have to though.

1. The time the guy in the gym said to me, “I like the way you move,” while I was in midair working on my abs.
2. The time another guy in the gym butted into my conversation and called me a liar. Two major mistakes in the Darius Book of…well, just Darius’ book.
3. When I guy at my job confronted me about some nonsense at work as if
the school bell just rang and he heard that I was talking about his mama. That one was close.
Fortunately, it has not gotten to that point…yet.

I think I may need his assistance very soon, though. I’ve been trying to fight it. I’ve prayed about it. I’ve meditated. Focused my energy in the gym. Gotten my green tea and honey on. Nothing’s worked. I’m gonna snap and it’s not gonna be pretty.

The next time I hear someone, especially a grown ass person, singing “This right here is my swag,” I am going off Mel Gibson-style.

If you don’t know, that is a lyric from Pretty Boy Swag, the latest offering from the lyrical genius better known as Soulja Boy Tell’em. First of all, I’ve always wanted to know who told him that a dependent clause without any punctuation makes a good rap name. But I digress.
People have varying musical tastes, I get that. Some prefer Luther Vandross to Marvin Gaye; some prefer Dean Martin to Frank Sinatra. Even you may favor Coldplay to Maroon 5. All of those are understandable. There are some things in my musical collection that others may question: the Carpenters and Eazy-E are in heavy rotation. But there has to be a line.
You may need to take a Calculus class or go read Macbeth after this, but here is a sample of the brilliant lyrics:

Get out the way
Pretty boy comin' thru
Me and my crew we swaggin in the room
Girls on me heavy 'cause I look so sexy
Yellow diamond shawty in the club straight flexin
I'm lookin' for a yellow bone long haired star
Thick in the hips come and get in my car
You party with a star we take off and go to mars
Pretty boy take off in 5.4.3.2.1




I sincerely apologize.

When I was a teenager, music was much different. Yeah, there were a lot of songs without much lyrical content. No one ever accused Luke of being Smokey Robinson, or Biggie for that matter. But there was a lot of good stuff out there.

If you need an example of that good stuff, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnKPLrG2E0

Nothing like a little Kool Moe Dee to restart your brain.

So, when the bureaucrats start barking about low test scores of American students and how they don’t stack up to their counterparts across the world, there is only one person on the face of the planet to blame: Mr. Pretty Boy Swag.

When I first heard the song, I thought it was one of those parodies that the morning shows do. So, I laughed. But when I found out that it was a “real” song, I laughed even harder. But when I heard the remix that features Gucci Mane, the laughter stopped. I immediately put Nirvana into my CD deck and drank some Pennyroyal Tea.

So, back to my future arrest.

You know how some songs that you hate begin to seep into your subconscious without you knowing? This song has somehow found its way into my brain and I want to dig it out!
If this blog happens to have no posts for 3-5 years, then you know that someone must have been getting’ their swag on and I snapped like a woman who gave up her successful career for her husband who later on cheated on her with her hairstylist and the gardener.

Oh, and one more thing.

We’ve had LBJ and JFK; how about KMD for president? Kool Moe Dee. I’m just saying. He goes to work!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. While I appreciate your passion, I have to tell you how humorous it is that you've gone Mel Gibson style in this blog (is there an audio version of this by the way) and of all things for souljah boy? And i cant help but think you being overly critical if you're going to atribute the demise of our education to this teeny bopper. Don't mistake me for a prettyoy fan who is insistent on identifying every blog with something bad to say about him and then bashing its author. Truth is i agree to some degree with much of what you've written:
Music's content is seriously lacking and painful to listen to
Souljah boy's swag isnt that pretty.

And while it is all too tempting to agree that music was so much better in my day, consider this "he who knows music isn't what it use to be"

Whose music is better, worse or responsible for the continued degradation of culture will be a never ending battle since everyone's music was so much better then, every generation of music spiels out senseless and laughable lyrics to which we can all shake our head in shame and regardless of which generation and which silly lyric, music has multiple functions and perhaps the reason "this right here" ( in my souljah boy whisper voice) can make its insidious way into your mind is because he has successfully achieved one of the purposes of music. Music has been assigned so many roles- the thought provoker, the love maker, the healer, the smile inducer, the rump shaker, the inciter, the crowd pleaser... The, well you get the point. What i'm saying is, the young kid has cleverly found a way to make music do what i suppose it had done for him-it makes people laugh and move and in your case, wonder.

You're entitled to your opinion, surely, but let's be fair here. Afterall, kool moe dee's and krs one did have company of less esteem and they touted the love for what the letter b stood for- "b stands for bronco, benz, bmw base..." don't worry i wont tell if you still know the words.

You know in all honesty, i prefer content about swag as oppose to lips locking and panties droppin by prettyt ricky. Sigh. But hey they may have heard their parents playing "man in the boat" and hearing them too attest that THEIR music was MUSIC.

Thanks so much for the read. I heard you were worthy literature.

Mr. D. said...

Anonymous, thank you for your comment. You made me go back and read this particular blog. You're right, we can't blame it all on young Souljah, but we can blame a lot on him and his ilk. Have you heard his latest? You must check it out. I'm glad you found the read worthy, and I'm glad someone recommended it to you.

And,oh,..."bangles and a pair of bars. When you see us pullin' up down the ave. you act like we are stars..."

Anonymous said...

LOL. I knew you'd know the words. I bet you bobbed your head while typing the music hunh?

And I'm glad you got a chance to re-read. It's like watching a great movie a second or in my case umpteenth time around--it just keeps getting better.

Oh, the answer is no-- I haven't heard Souljah Boy's latest. Why have you?